Friday, October 5, 2007

Now That I'm Not Trying to Achieve Zen...

Well, with the spa appointment blowout, I give up on my attempt to put last weekend behind me, and I now choose to embrace and relish the hell that is family and relive last weekend for y'all's amusement.

I preface this list of highlights with the comment "And they wonder why we don't make the 2 hour drive (the extended IL's) or the 2 hour flight (the MIL, FIL and SIL), that often..."

Ahhhhh...shall we just bullet point it, in no particular order?
At the party for the grandma:
  • Cousin to P comes up, put his arm around me, starts chatting. He's back in town from AK. He's pretty cool now. So, he said he heard we had been in China, and he and girlfriend had been their last year...yadda yadda. I say "can't wait to go back, the sooner the better, even if it is snowing" (assuming everyone knows, seeing as it's been the only topic people have discussed with us since we showed up 2.5 hours before that)...oh, why are you going back in winter? To get H... "Oh, I didn't know you had decided to adopt for sure. My mom (the one who talks about each grandbaby first and foremost that they have her son's skintone - not the 1/2 Mexican mother's) said she didn't think you had decided where you wanted to adopt from, cause you didn't know what you wanted your baby to look like."
  • The Grandma: "Don't get your heart set on anything. Even if you see a picture, don't look at it. I know so many people who have gone there, and then they don't give them a baby...they are Chinese you know. They want our money. So don't count on anything. Consider it a blessing if it happens." (Yeah, how many people in her demographic are adopting? She's 90 for pete's sake.)
  • Well, if they get around to giving her to you, then you'll get pregnant. (They all know that with me it is absolutely impossible that this will occur)
  • What about a Lithuanian baby? Auntie A works with people helping the Lithuanians - she can get you help.
  • Holding baby that is fussing...You don't really want this, do you? - Another cousin
  • (An Aunt after being told the names we've picked, and apparently having a discussion with P about what he sees as an abundant plethora of clothes - mostly girl - 1/2 hand me downs BTW - in the nursery closet) Well, we're going to hope for a Hxxxx then (the boy name)...what? Cause the whole boys are better thing? Which is so his family...or, cause you want me to have wasted my money?
  • From an Uncle who travels ALL over the world: You didn't get sick in China? Really? Did you eat there? Cause I'm for sure that they spit in the food when it's for us people. I always get sick when I travel overseas, and got really sick there. (Yeah, ummmm, maybe because you are an ugly american who wants to barge into peoples homes and take pictures and think you can buy anything? Oh, and maybe because you know nothing about where you travel to...oh, and because you follow no precautions about basic food safety overseas...yes, you yak blood drinker, maybe that's really why you get sick?)

Back at the P&K ranch with the FIL, MIL and SIL:

  • SIL (who did much better than I thought she would overall): "Well, now that you aren't going to bring her home this year, I'm going to have to talk to my boss again."

Me: Why?

SIL: Well, last year I kept vacation time so I could come visit H. And then I carried it to this year so I could come visit her. Now I'll have to carry it again. (She gets something obscene like 5 weeks too, BTW)

Me: Why don't you just use next year's?

SIL: Cause that would limit my real vacation options then.

OK, lady: 1. How long do you think you are staying here? 2. I'm sorry to cramp your style. 3. I'm sorry that I'm not living up to your timetable, cause you know, we're so close, you emailing me only like clockwork about 90 days before your bday and xmas, just to make sure I'm aware of your existance when I'm out gift shopping.

  • MIL: If this doesn't happen, you aren't going to try to adopt from anywhere else, are you? (Yeah, cause if it isn't "easy", it's not worth doing.)
  • FIL: We could all take a trip to S America next year or the year after, they are kinda long, about 17 days, but that could work. (Hello, dude?!?!)

Oh, and we had the SIL mocking the cats, and SIL not liking how the breakfast place did her pancakes (after a 5 minute discussion on why she can't have whipped cream ANYWHERE on her plate), and SIL not having enough vegetables in her Chinese food, etc etc etc...

OK, I've purged. It's out of my system. And if any of you are still reading - do ya see why we say that we live the perfect distance from all family, both sides???

No comments: