Thursday, September 13, 2007

Do you really want to know my logic string?

OK, I guess I'm remiss is realizing that those out there in Blog-World may not know me enough to know how I make crazy decisions sometimes...

This is how we ended up in China the last few weeks...

We've been playing this hold vacation/complain about not going to get H/use a bit of vacation/get nervous about using said vacation/hold rest of vacation/realize we're not getting H this year/blow all the vacation except the one paltry week P can carry over/panic about what if a miracle occurs...

We're almost at that last step...except P has more time right now - he'll probably end up wasting it away by not really working in December, like he had to last year, and cleaning off his honey-do list.

So we decided we were sick of being stateside (I lasted longer than I usually do - I usually get antsy many months quicker than this!) and started trying to find somewhere. I was charged with finding somewhere "exotic" if I was going to spend the money by hubby. I came up with Japan. Do you know how much it costs to not only get to Japan but then stay there? It breaks my rule of places that cost more to get to are cheaper to stay in...

So I jokingly thru out China, and got the evil eye back..."you'll be there soon enough, keep your undies unbundled" I heard. So we dropped it. So I cruised the internet. Landed on some China trips. Figured out there's a whole heck of a lot I still want to see (had a trip planned before I had to cancel it in '05 cause of my first endo surgery)...and those Gorges are filling up fast. So I started working the hubby over - let's see the things we've always wanted to see - we won't be able to do it on the next trip. And it worked.

Se we booked the trip a month before we left - tops. We had to go down to the nearest big city to hand deliver our passports to the embassy for our visas to get them back in time. (That was a little sad) And then we packed our bags and off we went. Did everything we were going to do in '05 except for Tibet. That would have been 2 more plane flights, and 4 more days, and we didn't want to risk that much time...seeing as we're still foolish and hopeful.

So, we left the Midwest and landed 14ish (I think) hours later in Beijing. Then we went to Xi'an, then Chongqing, picked up the riverboat, floated down to Yichang (the only place I wasn't thrilled with - I'll have to tell you about the Sturgeon IVF they are doing over there...something I could have lived without seeing the video of in my life) and then flew again to Shanghai.

So that's the story. We're here, getting over jet lag and trying to get into the work routine. I overslept today, so off I go to the Happy Workland. I'll try to post more pics later today...

So, when do y'all think I'm going back?

2 comments:

Mutha Mae said...

WOw this has to be a first that I've ever heard of in Blog Land. A couple goes to China before their referral for a vacation. You guys rock. So refreshing to read VS hearing the people who, "have" to go to China for their adoption. Thanks for explaining. I'm still oh so envious. Why does Feb come to mind for your travel date?? I wonder if it will be that long? Or would that be considered soon in your mind?

ISO(In)sanity said...

China was a trip of a lifetime I had always dreamed about.

I think it's very possible (Feb), especially as we are possibly going to be hitting 2 countrys worth of holidays etc, and my stinky agency won't go anywhere near travelling over Christmas, New Year, or CNY.

I'm still doing every bit of bargaining with all the forces of the universe that that will somehow be on the outside estimate. I'm hoping for January 08 (can I really be hoping for anything in 08?) We'll be royally toasted with P's vacation time if it is in February. He'll have to go back to work as soon as we get home, as his vaca expires 1/31 each year...as he can only carry one week, and go in the hole one week.