Sunday, November 30, 2008

Odd Sightings From The Weekend...

It was a weird, weird weekend...too much family (each event good, but I just can't take 3 events in 4 days!), too many house projects, and I actually hit a few stores (with my mother - egads, what was I thinking?!) on Black Friday. I must be officially insane...must repeat my mantra...online is best. Online is best. Online is best.
  • I'm driving back home from the post office. In front of me is a mazda or other off-brand late model SUV sporting out of state, yet still cornfed, plates. Inside, 3 middle age, corn fed people. A man is driving, the other 2 are woman. As I follow them, the one in the backseat, for a good 15 minutes, rummages thru a bag and every 30 seconds or so holds up what looks like pretty skanky lingerie...bras, undies, nightgowns etc...all see thru, and cheezy looking - sparkles glistening etc. Really? Who buys that much at once? Who feels a need to go thru it in a car with someone who is not a spouse in the car? Or, if shopping with your girlfriends, not with the husband in the car. Something about both being there makes it creepy to me! I followed them until they turned into the local mega-church. Cause that's what I do - rummage thru lingerie on the way to church...I'd at least wait till after. Otherwise, your libido cools down while talking to the pastor, unless you've got a weird fetish...one I really don't want to hear about.
  • My child, who won't eat "real" turkey, apparently, but horked down spicy pumpkin pie and really tart homemade cranberry sauce.
  • A woman who tried 3...yes, three credit cards at Gymboree before she found one that wasn't over limit. Ummmm...maybe you shouldn't be popping for 35 dollar sweaters and 25 dollar shirts for a munchkin that's going to grow out of them in a relatively short time if you are that overmaxed. Didn't anyone learn anything from the last 4 months?!
  • A woman standing outside of a adult themed-store in an outlot shopping area...with a small child, say, about 8, looking and pointing at the santa-themed underwear in the window and holding the child's hand. Really? You take your kid for shopping for Daddy's after-hours present?! I'm all for nookie under the tree, and indulging Ward's fantasies, and I'm all for teaching The Beav about sex...I just don't think this is probably the best way.
  • My mother in Baby Gap with me, pitching a fit that "oh my dear God" (yes, she, the religious one can take the name in vain) "who would dress their child in this?! They shouldn't be parents!" (OK, this is normal for her at this point)...holding up long johns in 2 tone blue and the light blue in a print of skulls and crossbones. Looks like it's for the elementary school set. Then, as I almost pick a fight with her just to do it, I see a woman about 7 feet away looking at my mom with open disgust and contempt - holding those long johns in her pile of to-be-purchased. So I don't pick a fight, cause, well, my mom is allowed to her opinion, as much as the lady who decided that she would buy them. Then, 5 minutes later, when she thinks we've moved on, I see the ultimate act of shopping lemming-ness - she sheepishly moves over to the rack and puts them back. Hey lady...if you like them, buy them - why the hell would you care what my 61 year old mother thinks?!
  • My step-mother standing in her dining room with a pile of puppy-pads that she has left over...for me to put around H on her precious ivory wool carpet "in case she's a food thrower". The same woman who currently has 2 dogs and 2 cats in the house. The same woman who at one time had 2 dogs and 5 cats in that house. I give her some credit (maybe it's the stuffing she plied me with...), when I said it was ok, she didn't push it.

Anyways. Hope everyone had an awesome Thanksgiving. I leave you with one cute pic of the Peanut in her Thanksgiving Day dress...


No comments: