Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Gay Discussion

I had this disscusion awhile ago with my mom...perhaps about a month or so. I've finally been able to remember it without throwing up a little bit in the back of my throat, so here's a reenactment, so y'all know why I love her, but don't feel close to her...and why I don't by into her sanctimonious religion crap.

Note, this was in the runup to the election.

Mother: (Watching news I have on while I eat) What is with these people? Why don't they realize we don't care what they think?

Me: Who? (Munch.)

Mother: The gays. No one cares who they think should be President.

Me: I would think some would want the white guy, and some would want the black guy...(trying to goad her into a discussion she might feel some shame over)...

Mother: I wish they'd just go back to being quite about everything again. This is why society is going down the drain. (Her new favorite comment on anything and everything, BTW).

Me: Waaaaa???

Mother: It's obvious that they are sick.

Me: Whaaaa?

Mother: Well, we know it isn't natural. It states it in the Bible.

Me: So, you don't see people who are this way, and have always felt this way? You don't think that's how they were made? If they were, then isn't that what God allowed? Or planned? What about P's cousin? The family says you could tell when he was 7.

(Side note, dear mom was a FA for a once important airline - she flew with a ton of gay people and had them as friends at one time!)

Mother: Well, it could be a chemical thing or something, but they should get funding to find a drug to fix it then. And the devil does things that God doesn't want.

Me: (Attempting to shine some reason)...so, gays are so bad, huh? So you support the Arkansas craziness? No babies to gays or singles or non-marrieds? It's better for them to be in foster care then people they might catch the gay from?

Mother: Totally. No baby should be raised by that. It's adam and eve, that's how it should be. (Sidenote: Gag)

Me: Have you seen what happens to kids in foster care? Really? That's better?

Mother: No, but how would they learn to be normal? How do you learn to be married, and know how boys and girls should act?

Me: Ummmm...aunts, uncles, grandparents, friends...and their parents. Do you think a gay couple really is at all different in how they act in a household? One cleans the bathrooms, one cooks. They fight. They band together when needed.. They support each other. What happens after Squirt goes to bed doesn't really affect the kid.

Mother: It's not normal.

Me: So, you think H would have been better in an orphanage her whole life if CCAA had only the option of gay parents? You were just saying last week, you wondered what she would be like if she hadn't come here...if she'd still have delays, what her personality would be.

Mother: Some day, some straight couple would have wanted her. It would have been better to stay in an orphanage for a few years, then go to gays.

Me: Drooling, as my jaw hangs in my soup.

That's hardcore...the granddaugher you love so much, adore with all your heart. You would hypothetically rather her be in a SWI than with two men or women? I think I also pointed out in the middle of it that gays want the things that she's so badly bemoaned my generation for not wanting (marriage etc)...so, they want to do those things that she says society needs.

That's why I don't buy her message of everything being good if you are a devout Christian. Seems just about as intolerant as you can come.

Thank you for letting me share the crazy. Just the thought of anyone ever thinking any reason would have justified H being in a SWI drives me to tears. And any religious house that has taught that level of thought can't be righteous in my mind.

2 comments:

Judi said...

Good for you for trying to talk sense. She wasn't listening. Older people want others to be quiet and deal, and live with whatever they have. Protests don't go over well with them. Remarks like these about this issue are the kind of cr*p I go ballistic about. People just keep their mouths shut around me now.

kimmons said...

I'm certain that if I had to have conversations like that with anyone, much less my Mom, that I'd be moved to gnaw my own foot off.

I LOVE (being sarcastic here) that when some-people-of-a-certain religious-persuasion can't argue with logic and facts, they just blame the devil. Never mind that pesky free-will & self responsibility!