Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I Have a Clone...Life Has Shifted

OK, well, I'll have a clone soon. As of Monday night, we've hired a bright young guy (gawd, I sound soooo old) who is going to be a sponge from next week on, to learn everything that I have stored in my brain for the last 11 years here at Happy Workland. He will be my assistant/replacement, whatever I need. I have a peep now. I'm middle level, non-important semi-management-ish now...

He will someday be able to do everything I do, except new website development, at least for now. That's still my baby, and what I thrive on doing.

I have high hopes - he used to work here in another department, and he's a smart guy, and we worked well together before. But, the idea of teaching someone everything...well, it's daunting - and unnerving - at best!

I was driving home last Monday night after it was all agreed too...and I just felt sooooo, unhinged from the world. Like I was a seperate part that was floating away from reality. Till now, I'm the one. I'm the web goddess. Now, I will have a demi-web-god in training. I will not be The One. I currently do my job and everyone pretty much leaves me alone, and I do what I do and get it done fast, well, and efficiently. Sometimes even with a smile on my face. As of 6:15 monday night? I am no longer unique.

My work is so much of my life - friends will tell you I'm always connected. When I would have surgeries, I'd be to work, at least via computer, in a matter of days. Being childless, we have both defined a lot of our lives by what we do for The Man. We work to excel and achieve. When shoving a new site up, I'm working all hours of the day, getting it to be the best it can be. All of a sudden, I'm not the only go-to person...all of a sudden, we're planning on me...not being here...not completely gone, though on crabby days I like to daydream about it. But all of a sudden, I'm already sporting a new and important list item of "who I am" in the top 5 of that list, none-the-less...mother (to be).

All of a sudden, after 2.5 years on paper, something with this adoption has really affected my life. My life shifted Monday night. For the first time, I'm not a mommy-to-be only on paper. Life is different now. And this is just the beginning...

I'm sure my clone can handle the job...The question is: Can I?

No comments: