Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Shouldn't Have Looked...

Why?! Why?! Why?! Well, I know why...but that would be an "I digress" in the first line of a post...and that's too fast, for even me. I'm not that much of a posting slut.

I looked at H's college fund. The one we set up this summer. The one that I am now convinced means she will never ever afford college. Egads...30% of it is gone. Poof.

Funny, all the a**holes in power (I don't believe most of them in gov't have any hand in being able to control the economy) - the CEOs, the guys at Treasury and the Fed (the ones who said they didn't see this coming, and they feel bad for it, but now give us 250b with no oversite?! Yeah, those schmucks)...they are all going to be sitting there with fat severances (there's ways around every clause in every bill), smoking 20's rolled with dope while all of us sit here and cry still, in a year or so. You know it.

And shit on a brick - one of our accounts for retirement...the big one, is also tied into that log in I used...holy shit. We're not going to be able to retire either. I'm regretting the home improvement going on right now...

Why did I do this? Why did I look? Because The Boss aka The Dad at Happy Workland has asked for a committment, a plan for my time there next year. Yes, this happy isolation is apparently coming to an end. But, aside from wanting to see the over-3-foot crowd, I keep asking myself why? I make squat compared to P, and I'm going to be working for daycare.

Though my husband's short stint at unemployment this summer scared the crap out of me. And people tell me that kids that stay at home with their boring moms don't get socialization skills they need. And they say she'll learn stuff faster if I send her to daycare. But I'm trying to justify the economics of it, cause I just can't see doing it if they aren't there.

But then I have to ask if I should use sane-person economics, or the crazies-running-our-world-economics before I decide that, huh? Cause there'd be two totally diametrically opposed outcomes with those different models.

Throw it at me folks...should I toss my kid into daycare? Or be the one that most of my neighbors are talking about when they say "you know, a lot of stay at home moms are weird...it's the isolation that makes them batshit."

4 comments:

Nyt said...

Yes, I looked as well... I'm now practicing saying "welcome to Wal-mart". Phoned finance guy, warned that floor is around 7500...ouch! Shut off televsion, plan to live like Amish.

In other news, the daycare/preschool thing has helped the Eggroll tremendously. Check into half-days. Work 1/2 and H the other. And yes...the isolation will drive you batshit crazy..
Kisses!

ISO(In)sanity said...

Ahhhh...the kicker to that is that all the daycares by work suck. With a capital "s"...and work is too far to make that 1/2 day thing viable. What benefits have you seen with Eggroll?

Isolation = bad...come out and play, nyt!

Only good news is evil MOT is down to 5.80ish. Serves them right.

Nyt said...

"suck" is a relative term... No facility is going to be like your own home. It's never going to be clean enough, attentive enough, organized enough, blah blah blah... let your expectations go and embrace the suck...
Eggroll has embraced the daycare pre-school thing with glee. She's happy and excited to go "play" in the morning and she's happy to go "home" at noon. She's using multiple word sentences (which she never, ever did at home) her vocabulary is expanding, and she's now beginning to express preferences (she never did that one either) There's the sharing thing, and the attention thing as well. Not all of it is consistent, but it's there, and it's moving much more rapidly than it ever did at home.
As for the 1/2 day thing, if that doesn't work perhaps you might want to think about the 3 day a week thing. I originally thought that I would split up the days, like M,W, & F, but the center director said that 3 days together usually works out the best. I agree. Eggroll is already aware that for three days she gets to "play" and the rest of the time is with Mama. It's fascinating to see that after a month, she pops up on Tuesday morning and asks to go "play"...and I'm positive that she has no idea that it is Tuesday, but somehow her internal clock is now set to go off that way...

Two Pearls said...

Sophie has thrived at daycare too. K wasn't working when we first came home and wasn't really planning on looking anytime soon, but had a great opportunity for full time work land in his lap (he had done part time consulting before that). So, we took her to one daycare in town. It was tough. Then, there was an opening at the place where my older daughter went. Facility is not as spanking new, but at the end of each day, I know with all my heart that she is loved by her teachers there and that's what matters most. Forget about learning the ABCs and colors and all that...there's plenty of time for that. Just make sure you're comfortable that she'll be loved.

I have a feeling that this downturn in the economy is only the beginning. I just hope that all the money we're plowing away now is buying things at a great discount and will outweigh the losses by the time #1 is ready for college (about 8 more years). Yikes. Perhaps things will settle after the election. Or. get. worse. Sigh.