Friday, October 31, 2008

The Green Bean Conundrum

H hates vegetables. OK, she really doesn't. I know it, cause I watched her eat them for 5 months before she said "I am offended by this swill you are feeding me. Take this pig food away." At least that is what I think she said...the baby translator is on backorder still. She uses them as a way to assert her independence now, I suppose you could say.

So, sometimes I can get sweet potatoes in her. And green beans...if they are fried. We get them at the amazing dim sum we go to on Sundays. She used to also hork down their marinated cucumber, but not last time...sigh.

So, she loves the deep fried green beans. I get it - you could deep fry a car tire and I'd eat it too. She won't touch a "normal" green bean, though she will sometimes take 2 bites of a raw one.

The irony of this all? 1/2 the time, she eats the breading off the beans (they are cut up so she sees them anyways in there), turns the beans around, inspects them at great length, and then eats the naked fried green bean. Ergo, it looks just. like. the. regular. green. bean. slattered. in. butter.

And my family says I'm the high maintence one...

1 comment:

Judi said...

Hmm. It's a bit salty and crunchy setting up the softer goodness of the bean. Maybe she has innate gourmet qualities? Would she eat shelled edamame?