Monday, September 15, 2008

Bulemic Homeowner

I'm the bulemic of the homeowner world...I have a need to purge sometimes. I'll go thru my house and decide there must be a trunk-load of good-will stuff and I will find it...so help me Gawd, I'll find it.

And one of the easiest ways to set off my purging, of a different sort, is to have house guests...I need to get my house back to how I had it. I don't know why, but I do. We had P's 'rents here this weekend, and I. just. need. my. house. back...

I am twitching right now that I have "only" washed their sheets, with the towels still hanging on the bars upstairs...and, and, and, I had to bathe H in the tub before I cleaned it (they only used it once, but still), as she would not take a nap today, and, the bit of time she wasn't clinging to my leg, I had to do job-work. Not that they are pigs or anything, it's just not "us." Though, I was tempted to post a picture of the faucet in H's bathroom...folks, the sponge is right there - can't you wipe off the toothpaste splatters?!?! Seriously, a bright yellow, happy looking sponge. And it's brand new, so it's not like it could give them the heebies.

And they pestered me about us coming to visit again. I asked them here for H's first Christmas...I'm off the hook. OK, here's a poll: his parents have not been to our major metropolitan area since they moved from here, back when P was in grade school. They say that it's too hard to travel over holidays...So, aren't they out-of-whack to ask us to do it?!?!

Tomorrow, I have to get the towels washed, and I have to run the dishwasher. And I have to un-mess up my fridge. Somehow things like the giant milk gallons (that only fit in one place, or so I thought for 8 years), are not where they were this morning...

But, they made the bed that had the sheets that had to be washed? Do I want to understand that logic?

2 comments:

Nyt said...

I have a love/hate relationship with houseguests. The last set of guests we had were here while we were in China. And of all the people that it could be it was my two OCD infected uncles. I think the joint was cleaner than it was when I left it. And I get the travel thing, I'm writing it off to age... No matter how I explain the "Flipper effect" to Flipper, he just doesn't get it. He currently thinks that it would be very relaxing for me to load up Vanbo with three dogs, one puppy and one small child and then drive 24 hours straight, over the holidaze no less. Le Sigh...

Judi said...

"They say that it's too hard to travel over holidays."
Tell them that you agree... especially with a toddler.
Look, you're just not comfortable having guests because they're not you three. So don't have them. It's okay. Wait until H is in school full-time and revisit the question. But I don't think you HAVE to have people stay with you if you don't want to.