Monday, May 5, 2008

The Diaper Rash From Hell, Week...ummmm...at least 4

OK, so H came down with a diaper rash quite awhile ago, I know I talked about it. May have threatened to post pics...red zitty looking, in 2 areas - up front and between her poop hole and her legs, to be graphic.

I tried A&D, Desitin, Aquaphor, Lotrimin AF. I mixed, I layered, different combos etc...she finally went to the doc, and it was a confirmed yeast infection. So they gave me this compund stuff at the pharmacy that the doc perscribed called Gree's Goo. It seems to be a perscription version of what one lady on a board told me to try...hydrocortisone, lotrimin and butt creme. It cleared it up within a little over a week. I kept going for another week, per the doc. As soon as I stopped, it started. Mind you, I didn't go plain diaper, I went "down" to Desitin (original), or A&D or Aquaphor, something to still coat the tushy...

Sorry, nyt, I'm not at the point of trying cloth yet, I can't bring myself to it!!! At the doc today for her appt, they said to go three days more, then A&D covered with Desitin, and try not to disturb the A&D except for a BM when I change her. I have changed to some of the 7th generation wipes, see if that helps too. If that doesn't work, then I'll tackle the diaper brand question.

So, that's the history of the evil diaper rash...I'd like to make this post snarky and funny, but I've got something else that's cropped up this morning. When it rains...I have to mull this over in my head, I just can't cope with any more issues that involve an ob/gyn...

Oh, and a shout out to nyt and mr nyt on their new little one. We can't wait to meet her, and to s&j on their new little one too. I can't wait for y'all to travel and bring back H's newest little friends!

Licorice tea? Is it really stong? Right now I'm "prune and apples"'ing her every other day and it's keeping things moving most days...and where would I find this?

3 comments:

Nyt said...

Licorice tea is available at just about any health food store. The strength depends on how long you brew it for. Now, with babies, I'm not above using simple syrup to get it to the "yummy" stage. For older kids I'll use honey. Taste it yourself, if you find it palatable or super sweet, chance are she will too. I'd probably go with 4 ounces to start, and see what happens. For a plugged up adult it's usually 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. Prunes I'm familiar with, but I've never used apples for anything other than upset tummies. (it's the pectin).
For the bottom issue? Well yeast thrives in dark moist places, so you can pretty much guess what has to happen there...I have some recipes for some "alternative" diaper rash cream and also some "alternative" anti-fungal baby wipes. If you'd like to try those let me know, and I'll shoot you the recipes.....much sooner than I sent the lasagna recipe.....oh, and these might actually be easy to follow!! LOL!
And of course, to conclude my litany of assvice, think organic cotton diapers...... there are disposables out there....

Bonnie Jo Davis said...

Have you tried Shea Butter for the diaper rash? I used commercial products for my son because the "green" movement hadn't started yet. I worried about using so much stuff with chemicals. If want to know more about shea butter for diaper rash read this article http://ezinearticles.com/?Shea-Butter-For-Babys-Sensitive-Skin&id=801613

Unknown said...

This is a yeast infection, and no diaper rash cream is going to help. Your baby needs an anti-fungal from his pediatrician.