Tuesday, January 15, 2008

OK, The Mastercard Melted at 2:38p & ER Visits

What a week it has been this week. I can't believe I've actually gotten something done with the adoption. I took today off with my awesome friend L (who had my shower a few weeks ago) and we went with agency list in hand and starting working to kick this getting-ready into high-gear....she got to the house at 9:30a and we parted ways down by her house, 30 minutes away, at 4:30. We have meds, meds and more meds. We have funnels, and clothes, and tights and changing pads and nanny gifts and gerber puffs and socks and nuks and dishwashing detergent, and gifts for our translator and thermometers and travel tp and the list goes on and on and on. Oh, and then I came home and made dinner for the friend who gave birth to twins...

Paul and I had done this for a few hours on Saturday, but he an I together, with weekend crowds could have never ever accomplished this (not to mention our inability to see eye to eye on this kind of shopping!)! And we even met up with D, L's husband for lunch!

It felt good to get something accomplished! Something I had control over...but it's short-lived.

It's been a stressful week here in (In)Sanity house...a family member died the middle of last week. No one really close to us, extended family, but you know how it goes. Chaos ripples thru the family. Then we got to a crazy weekend. OK, made it thru, things in the fam started to cool down. I'm at work yesterday, just getting off the phone with P. I hear my coworker say on the phone "OK, R, I'll get K for you - I'll find her." R=stepmom. This is odd. This is highly unusual. No good will come of this. Father is out of town skiing....here's what ensues:

R: Hi K, I don't have anyone else to call.
Me: Uh, ok. What's up? Are you ok? You sound out of breath. Are you in a high-speed police chase? (I know, not smart to be me at this point probably.)
R: I'm at "doc's office". I've been having problems since my sinus infection so I came back.
(Note, R has major health issues - Crohn's, RA, all kinds of nasty stuff, medical miracle kinda woman)
Me: So, what's up...
R: They felt the pain in my chest wasn't from my asthma, and I'm so tired, so they ran an EKG. They want me to go to the e.r., and they don't want me to drive. I have the dogs in the car too.
Me: OK, where are you?
R: You know it's snowing, right?
Me: Yeah. Where are you?
R: "address". I'll wait for you.
Me: OK. Be there soon.
Me: clamping laptop shut...I'm outta here guys. Got to take R to the ER.

Try to call P. Get voice mail. As I'm leaving message, R calls back on cell.

R: I'm going home.
Me: Huh?
R: I'm going home. I don't want the dogs to have to go sit in the car.
Me: Ummmm...that's a 15 minute drive. It's snowing. You have a resting heart rate in the 40s and can't breathe.
R: I'll be fine. meet me at the house. You can take me from there.
Me: Uh, ok. I really don't think this is a good idea...
R: I'll be fine. See you there.

So, off I speed. I get there. I get 20 minutes of "how to feed dogs and cats" directions. I get told to NOT TELL MY FATHER.

Then I have to talk her out of her idea of me FOLLOWING HER TO THE ER...defeats the point of the "oxygen-rich one" driving, IMHO.

Get her there, they find nothing after 5 hours of tests, some stuff for her to deal with her doctor on....CT scans, funky blood workups etc....so I got her home at 9pm.

Me: Want me to stay with you?
R: No, I'm fine. Go home.
Me: Call me tomorrow a.m.
R: OK.

So, I'm out and about with L....hummmm...past lunch, no call. I call her, no answer. I wait 45 minutes. Hear nothing. Getting panicked. Call her cell. She picks up.

R: I'll have to call you back.
Me: Ummmm...are you ok? Are you vertical?
R: Yes, I'm at the bankers office doing stuff.
Me: Ummm...do you have chest pain still?
R: Yes.
Me: Did you eat?
R: Still not hungry.
Me: Breathing?
R: Only sorta painful. I'll call you back.

So she goes to the bank for an appointment. Yes. She holds her chest it hurts so bad. But she goes to manage money.

That was at about 3pm.

It's 10:03p. No call back.

My ass is so grass somehow. I just don't know how this is going to go down yet. My guess too? Dad doesn't know yet...she says "not until I know something, why bother him?"

As long as I don't talk to him for anything (yeah, hello, we work together), I'm not *technically* lying to him. Right?!

Somehow, getting baby shampoo and butt wipes and cereal bars for the trip isn't making me feel very useful right now...

2 comments:

Sue said...

Ugh. How stinky that the fun of shopping, shopping, and thinking of new baby had to be short-lived. I hope that R is feeling better so that you can focus on your baby. Here's hoping you'll have that TA soon!

Lisa said...

Hey we got a lot accomplished! It was fun especially since its been so long since we've gone shopping! Let me know when we need to go to BRU!