Friday, December 28, 2007

Trying To Hold My Anger

I won't even go into the starting-to-get-fidgety about our paperwork waiting to go back to China. Our agency pushed us into the holidays, and of course, being the holidays, it's going to take longer than normal for all the acceptances to get signed by everyone. Frustating, but totally expected, and I knew it was going to happen...even if we don't go till March, at least I have a baby...she'll be a toddler by the time my agency gets off their duff, but I'll still have a few years before she goes off to college.

OK, so what brought me out of my silence to really piss and moan? Is it a shock?! No, not at all - it's P's relatives. They are rude, and inconsiderate, and IMHO, totally self-centered. My shower is the weekend after next. 8 of them were invited. Technically, I was going to invite 12 of them, but the one Aunt never bothered to call me back with the addys of her daughters and DILs, so we sent one invite to her....so, there was that first indiscretion.

Do you know how many have called back?!?!

1

ONE

Ok, if that's too hard to do the math on - that's 12.5% of the sample group, if I can do division in my head correctly.

Uno
Yi
Eins

Yes, that's it. His Aunt?! I had to call her and she was all like "Oh, I had my carpet redone in the living room, and it was 35 years old but it was wool, and I feel bad getting rid of it, cause wool carpet is worth so much nowadays." And I bought a new sofa too, so I was waaaaay too busy to bother to make a 5 minute phone call...can you be a dear and tell your friend that I'm coming?!

It takes that much of your life to buy a sofa? How long does it take you to order take out?

And the rest of them? Do you know how many showers, weddings, baby welcome home partys etc that we've been to? That we've driven 2-5 hours out of our way to attend? That we've gifted generously because we want to be nice people?!

Don't make me show you how many bothered to call by holding my fingers up...you really don't want that visual.

And they can't even bother to call my friend and tell her if they have to make sure there is punch and pie for a few more mouths.

I know it's French, but you don't need to understand French to understand the little letters "R", "S", "V", and "P".

(These letters brought to you today by that little cocaine sniffer Elmo)

Let's see how I'm condemed the next time I don't show up for a 1 year old's bday party. Because, it'll be when I'm in China (for the 1st bday of a non-RSVP'ers kiddo at that too), and we'd be bad people if we didn't make sure that we could attend, cause that's how his family rolls. It's all about them.

Just proves it: friends so many more times becomes more important to our children's lives than family.

And worse, I'm embarrassed. My 2 friends are doing this for me. They are taking time, and money and effort to celebrate H coming home. And now my in-laws can't even make it a smidge easier for them.

How Many Fingers Am I Holding Up?

Have a good New Years everyone...be safe, have fun, leave me messages. You guys are infinetly cooler than some other people I know!

5 comments:

Mutha Mae said...

Angry for you. If I was in your city, I'd be there! Not that I know the location of your city, but I'm assuming it's not St. Louis. For my shower for Juna- several online pals showed up. One was a woman I met that day at the shower. We've been reading each other's blogs for years. And she brought several large gifts. Interesting, huh! Yet a particular family member couldn't be bothered to even show.

My family is often a let down. My friends have become my family.

You have a good New Year's Eve. So much to look forward to in 2008. May it be rewarding instead of the frustrating year this has been!

Judi said...

ITA with Mutha. If I was near, I'd be there, too. Screw the others. You've given enough. You didn't choose them anymore than P did and anymore than H will have. You get to choose your friends and they become your family. Have a fab time at your shower!

ISO(In)sanity said...

I would soooo have both of you there. We'd have a totally happening time!

Judi especially...I'd love to share this snow with you that mutha and I have been experiencing lately! :)

Ashley said...

I don't know you, except from following your blog, and I'd be there, too! Sorry your in-laws are being such boobs(your agency, too). It amazes me how many people operate on the "me, me, me" philosophy. Enjoy your shower, you've waited a long time for it, I'm sure.
Have fun ringing in the New Year. China is just around the corner for you! woohoo!!

Elissa said...

I'd be there if I could too, strawberryshortcake, so forget about your in-laws and instead set aside a chair (and a piece of cake!) for your friends in the 12-2005 room because we'll be there in spirit :)

Elissa
(ljsa)