Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The SIL

I've learned a mama-lesson...laugh at me if you want, that it took this long: One day to the other means nothing. Absolutely squat.

H had her birthday party Saturday. 18 adults, 2/3 of whom she knows to at least some extent, some she sees on a regular basis...the rest she'll see on a regular basis once we don't have the artic tundra outside our front door...and about 7 kids, 2-7. She power napped for 20 minutes during it, and it got her thru. She enjoyed the attention, etc etc etc...all in all way better than I thought she'd do!

Sunday...she's standing next to a chair, lets go with one hand, then the other. I'm happy, I've been working on her standing with her. Then the left foot goes forward, then the right, then the left...poor E kitty, she thought that being 4 feet away was a safe zone! Yes...H took her first steps. We did it many times that day. She was squealing in pride...mama realized that she wasn't a baby anymore...

Monday...wakes up, ok, doing her thing. Breakfast, a bit fussy, but still ate. Tried to walk again with her - ballistic, foot stomping tears of fear. Try to lay her down for a nap. She went ballistic...Hunan China ballistic. She had a puddle of tears in her crib 3x7" in less than 2 minutes as I tried to rub her chest and calm her. Hysterical, back arching fits. Only napped for 20 minutes. Woke up clingy, sobby, angry. Stayed that way. Same thing with the 2nd nap...hysteria. Mama sang, rocked, patted, soothed. Could have cared less. Woke up even more angry. Mama called Dada and begged him to come home early. Then, when the garage door rolls up...giggly baby. She melted down about 45 minutes later and then P looks at me and says "what's wrong with her?" I said....no the last 45 minutes were "what was wrong" - this has been my day. He looked at me with pity in his eyes.

This morning? She's fine. She's still somewhat clingy, refuses to walk without holding on to me, not because she can't, she won't. But willing to do it with 1 hand. But, she only freaked for about 2 minutes when I laid her down.

So, what gives? Teething? She's had one hand in her mouth continually. The mother of the preemie twins came to her party, even though her husband and son had had a 36 hour thing that included vomitting...H did urp up more than normal (ie usually never), but did not vomit...split personality??? I'm hoping to take her out for a few errands this afternoon - get her out of the house. Maybe that will lighten the mood.

OH, and of course, the SIL. First off, the IL's are going to be here this weekend. We'll see how that goes - they've been good with us lately, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. 14 years of history can't be forgotten that quickly. But the SIL, the best Auntie in the World. Not only did she still not do anything but tell us that she has a present for H (cause y'know - UPS for 5.95 is too much to blow), but has also asked us when we are coming down South with H to visit. What happened to "I want to see my niece so much"? "It's so hard to wait this long for my niece - tell China to speed up, it isn't fair."???? She can't get her ass on a plane and come up with Mom and Dad? P is right, it's best for me that she isn't coming :)

No comments: