Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ummmmm...That's Called A....

OK, I have two topics to share today...I'd say that this episode is brought to you by the letter "G" for "growth" and "girly."

This past weekend, we went to a neighbor's son's 2nd birthday party. Perhaps y'all remember said neighbor, last year, when we went to said son's 1st bday party, and I left in tears, hoping no one knew. We thought the kids would be about "home" the same time...Well, he was born July 2006, and H didn't come home till Feb of 2008. Anyways, off we went, H all spiffed up in her girly girly party dress (when else am I going to put her in all this foofy stuff that she got as gifts?!) I thought nothing of the events of last year. She was clingy, and then we finally got her onto dada instead of me...finally about an hour in, we got her to plant both feet on the ground. Over time, she started to wander. We were proud. Then, N from a few doors down was headed outside with her kids, and H was whining to go out in the 98% humidity, 90-something day, which mama was not digging. N looked at H from the doorway, and said "H, do you want to come with us?!" My internal mama scoffed at the idea. All of a sudden, H scooted off and into N's arms and out the door. I was...well, speechless. And then, I felt so proud. I was so proud of her. Last year, I was praying to Jesus, Buddha, Mohammad and the Dali Lama to bring us a daughter. I begged Zeus and Ra and anyone else who would listen to not make me go thru another event where I watched from the outside in at all the parents and kids...

This year, I watched from inside, out. I peeked out the back windows and watched my daughter wander the backyard with the people we've been working to get her to know and trust, our 3 good family friends in the 'hood, the past 5 months. She was so reluctant, wanting to keep her world small. I saw her ask to get down from N, wander over to the kids who so want to play with her, then wander over to J, and get scooped up with giggles. She played outside for about 15-20 minutes then happily came back in and ran into my arms.

I was so happy when I saw her growing, versus being in my arms, not being "kept" as I so wanted to be able to do last year. I think I'm starting to grow as a mama too.

And here's my funny story of the day: (Kinda sick of me to title the post over the 2nd, non-sappy, story, huh?) I'm such a daredevil... So, I'm changing H's diaper this a/m...the kid has been all over the body parts lately. We know noses, mouths, hair, bellys, toes (we love toes), feet, knees (another favorite with the under-4 foot crowd around here), belly buttons, eyes, and sometimes fingers. I should have seen this coming like the obvious punchline it is in this story...we've got the diaper off, and mama is getting ready to swab the butt creme all over and seal it back up. H sticks her finger down to near where all the parts start, and looks at me and says "Dah?!", which is her way of saying "What the heck is that, lady?!?!" I just about fainted. The last thing I expected to hear out of my daughter this week was asking me what the things between her legs were called! Mind you, she hasn't shown interest or anything like most kids do at some age. I was speechless again, just cause, who would have guessed that would have been the discussion when I walked in there this morning!? I mumbled for a minute, and then she asked again. I stalled long enough, and then I came up with "Those are your 'girly parts', sweety." Then, I felt like a chicken. So I told her their real names, though she was already trying to say "girly parts", coming out grah-grah, so I said, that's ok, we'll keep it simple for now and stick with "girly parts."

Oh dear...am I going to have to explain the birds and the bees to her soon too? I need her to at least be three before she asks me about that!

No comments: