Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A few weeks...

A few weeks, and I'll be called "mama" by 2 little girls. Hopefully. Unless Big Girl is actually really pissed off that we keep our promise and show up. Who knows? I can only hope and see what is to come. It'll be a whole new world that I thought was years off, that's all I know for sure. And one I actually feel at peace with. Somehow I know in my bones this is right. Even as I fume over the further bad crap coming out of our on-hold Taiwan program, I know that adopting Big Girl instead of a child younger than Peanut is the right move. I know if we adopt another, it will be a child 3 or over. How I know this, I dunno, but I do.

It's been sooo long, this process. And yet, I'm panicked now that it is so close. So much to do. No time to mentally prepare (hah...yeah...right) and yet a need to try to prepare, control, organize, file...in ways that cannot happen within the laws of physics of this world. Doesn't help with the crazy house still torn up (at a "mostly" cosmetic level at this point in the renovation.) with my freaking.

I'm scared to death to bring Peanut with. I'm more terrified to leave her here, so she comes. I do hope she gets something out of going back to China at this age. The kid remembers every.damn.thing...eveh. So I hope so. I hope she absorbs enough to feel her country of origin...to feel a bit of the adoption and to see her story thru the unfolding of her sister's story.

Oddly, I'm not so worried (well, not out of the ordinary levels for a neurotic redhead) about the trip...I'm worried about being a mother to her day to day. I still many days fret about my skill set with Peanut (see neurotic thing above), and...well...school, social dynamics of almost-tweens, sibling stuff, discussions about things that are more scary to discuss then trying to explain to a 3.5 year old, though deep and complex, as to why she cannot put nail polish on the cat or why KaiLans friend is so mean...I worry that I'll be a disappointment to her after she's waited 9 years for a mama and a baba.

Getting my swimming cap on, pulling up the swimsuit...getting ready to dive in. Hope the water is warm...

2 comments:

Kelley said...

SO excited for you!!! I can't imagine how crazy life is right now, but I can't wait to read all about it and see those pictures if you are up for sharing them!
Kelley
patience4kathryn

Kris said...

I'm excited you are so close to traveling! Due to unexpected (or maybe I should expect it with our history...ggrrr..) we had a HORRIBLY LONG delay with our HS. Crappy HS agency.

I share your same neurotic concerns of parenting a 3.5 yr old and now soon-to-parenting a 13 yr old. OH MY GOSH! But, we have decided DH & 3.5 yr old are staying home. With our serious sleep issues, being gone THAT LONG would be DISASTROUS. Me being gone that long from her is going to suck. Plain & Simply. But, we'll survive...after maybe an extra year of therapy. :-)