Friday, June 5, 2009

National Doughnut Day & Time Slipping Away...

According to MSN, bringer of every piece and tidbit of important, earth-shattering news, it's National Doughnut Day. Mind you, I love a sugar bomb of carb goodness like everyone else. Sometimes, I get a craving for the twinkie-filled doughnuts that Kr**py Kr*m* used to carry around here, and was stoked even more when the local doughnut shop, which churns out amazing doughnuts, copied and improved upon this treat. But, I eat them rarely, cause I'm entering the mid-30's this year, and my family genetics isn't kind to my backside as it is.

But, seriously, our gov't spends tons of money convincing us to eat healthier, to make our kids do stupid tests that supposedly test healthfulness (yeah, I remember when they started that...holding your chin above a bar only tests your threshold for pain, not if your ticker is good.), threaten to sue/ban/put on 40 foot billboard how unhealthy so much food is, but then there's a National Doughnut Day? I mean, some National Horse Puckey Day usually overlaps with National Pick Your Nose Day, but I just don't get the message...and I don't get why any government takes the time to worry about this bullshit. Oh yes...contributions to campaign funds. Well, I guess I just lost the doughnut & horse puckey union for thousands towards my campaign in 3 years...

Crazy old-lady with her robe open rant done...

On another front, I've broken down and I'm starting to work on The Peanut's photo albums. I'm not doing the China trip yet, I still don't know how to tackle that. I'm making it into a bigger deal than it should be, but there's so much emotion locked up with those pics. So I'm starting at her first days here, and moving forward...so the short version is, I've been going thru pics from March 1- approx May 31 2008 - slightly over a year ago...

Already, I don't know this baby in these pics. I don't remember how we went thru the days with her, she is so tiny (well, not really, but...relatively...), so helpless, so overcome, so shy and cautious. So very much not my opininated, stubborn, bright - wickedly bright, gregarious, loving child is now. It feels like a million years ago. Here, now, we are working on kicking the straw sippys, the crib is coming down within the next few weeks, we're showing an interest in the potty, are completely sure of ourselves and our opinions on everything, and willing to defy authority to express our opinion. And it's only been a year...what's it going to be like looking back at these in 2, 3, 7 years?!?! Will I remember how it was to go upstairs and have her giggle hilariously that she opened the door by reaching over her crib and jumped up and down to see me? Or will that be a dusty memory too quick and we'll be living in a new moment, so far away that I can't even imagine it, but apparently much closer than I think it is?

I'm amazed at what my child has already accomplished, and I look forward to what she is going to accomplish, but for a few moments, I need a sit with a doughnut and relive in my brain the baby she was...

No comments: